CPAP equipment - the dangers of not getting proper sleep apnea treatment

CPAP equipment - the dangers of not getting proper sleep apnea treatment

Those who suffer from sleep apnea may be discouraged about their treatment options. Dental devices and CPAP equipment are needed every night, or painful surgeries with no guarantee of success can be tremendously discouraging. However, as discouraging as this may be, it is essential to bear in mind that the serious health problems of not receiving treatment are important. Untreated sleep apnea increases the danger of: sudden death, high blood pressure, stroke, reduced efficiency at work or on the road (driving) and heart attacks.

It is expected that only 10% of people with sleep apnea receive treatment. Most of the remaining 90% realize they have a problem, however, they decide not to receive treatment. The question of treatment in decline is individual; however, it imposes greater dangers when someone distressed with untreated sleep apnea makes the decision to drive. The question is, if you suffer from sleep apnea, can you really allow it to not act and receive a good treatment before it is too late?

Continuous positive airway pressure or CPAP is the most commonly prescribed treatment for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition in which cessation of breathing is caused by tissues in the airways that collapse or block the airway during sleep. These episodes can last from 2 to 30 seconds at a time, resulting in severe interrupted sleep for those affected by the condition. The main objective of CPAP therapy is to keep the obstructed airway open so that it does not fail during sleep. Although there are other types of treatments for sleep apnea such as dental devices and surgeries that can remedy blocked airway passages in initial contact with the airway, only CPAP equipment can open airways in the lower parts of the respiratory tract , which are most commonly affected by sleep apnea. .

The CPAP device is a little larger than a shoebox and uses air pressures to keep the tissues of the airways open during sleep. The CPAP device devices supply air through the face or nasal mask under pressure. When a person inhales, the slight air pressure keeps the tissues of the nose, throat and palate open. Almost all patients with CPAP equipment report that they feel the air pressure, however, that they can also exhale and inhale without difficulty. The CPAP device manages the pressurization of air through a small tube that is connected to the apnea mask. The air can be at room temperature, heated or humidified, depending on who suffers it. To avoid air leaks, the apnea mask should be used with care. It is held in place by "cinched" or straps. There are many different types of apnea masks, all designed with the purpose of providing the best comfort for the patient, with the most popular types being the nasal mask, the full mask and the nasal pillows.

Bi-Level positive airway pressure (BiPAP) devices are designed for people who have problems accepting the high pressures of CPAP equipment. It works like a CPAP in delivering air pressure during sleep. However, the Bipap reduces the pressure on exhalation and provides a pressure during inspiration. As a result, one does not feel that they are exhaling at high pressure at the moment of breathing.

The BiPAP equipment is used primarily for people who need high pressure to keep their airways open or if someone has difficulty exhaling. It is important to note that although CPAP is commonly prescribed for people with obstructive sleep apnea, which is responsible for 80% of cases of sleep apnea, BiPAP is prescribed in situations where central sleep apnea exists. Central sleep apnea is a rare condition caused by neurological disabilities that does not send the appropriate signals from the brain to instruct the mouth and lungs to breathe. Bipap air pressures can help patients inhale and exhale accordingly.

The CPAP device with automatic titration is the latest development in CPAP equipment therapy. They are also identified as "smart" CPAP devices, which make fine adjustments in pressure throughout the night. Different intensities of pressures are required for different intensities of sleep apnea and sleeping positions. The goal of automatic CPAP titration is to obtain the lowest possible pressure for each occurrence of apnea. "Smart" sensors regulate air pressures according to the intensity of the apnea episode.

Home | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© Copyright 2020